Vendrell Rivet Miloca
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4)
- 6 – 8 good quality sausages
- 100g chorizo or smoked lardons
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 bell peppers (red, orange or yellow), chopped in 1,5 cm squares
- 1 can kidney beans (or similar)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 250ml – 500ml chicken stock
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded & diced
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons runny honey
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
1 / Split your sausages in half by gently squeezing the middle section and twisting the ends in opposite directions, then cutting through the knot in the skin. Heat oil in a pan and fry the small sausage patties until they turn golden brown.
2 / In a separate heavy-based pan or casserole dish, add some of the oil from the browned sausages and fry onions, garlic and chorizo (or lardons) until soft. Then mix in the sausages, bell peppers, paprika, cayenne pepper, tomatoes, beans, balsamic vinegar, honey, a few bay leaves and red chili (if you like it spicy). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3 / Depending on how urgently you need to put dinner on the table, increase the liquid level with some chicken stock, bring the sauce to a boil and let it simmer for at least 20 minutes. Keep tasting to check flavour – it should take on a deep barbecue flavour as it develops – add balsamic or honey as needed. Serve with crusty bread for dipping.